The ballet was absolutely beautiful! It was written in 1841 and was performed in the same opera house 200 years ago! The story is about this peasant girl, Giselle, who lives in the Rhineland between France and Germany. She falls in love with this prince who is pretending to be a commoner because he is unhappily engaged to another princess. Another peasant boy is also in love with Giselle. When he finds out that the prince is lying to Giselle, he reveals the prince's true identity. Giselle dies from the shock ( or commits suicide depending on the version).
When she dies she joins these female ghosts who died the day before their wedding day and spend their time haunting cemetaries and killing men who disturb them by dancing them to death.
The prince walks into the forest, still mourning Giselle's death, the ghosts are ordered to kill him and attempt to dance him to death but Giselle steps in and saves his life.
Here is an excerpt from the ballet if you all are interested. I think you actually have to press play for it to work, it doesn't start on its own.
http://www.operadeparis.fr/cns11/live/onp/Saison_2009_2010/decouvrir/index.php?lang=en&CNSACTION=SELECT_CONTENT&content_id=giselle&content_type=video&event_id=424&selected_season=354663924
Anyway the whole thing was absolutely incredible. I felt like I was in a fairy tale! We had the best seats and it was so much fun! I can't wait to go again.
Click on the photos to make them bigger :)
The front of the Opera

The staircase! My favorite Part!

Inside the Theatre!

The Ceiling of the Opera

No comments:
Post a Comment